Spellbreak boasts their biggest update yet with release .30 “The New Dawn”. Bravely changing the classes completely, the latest update comes with a slew of new and improved features. Not all is rainbows and sunshine however, as with all games in alpha stage, major changes can mean data wipes. Unfortunately, the latest update will require a complete wipe of all progress and leaderboard stats. Let’s take a look at everything that’s changed in Spellbreak The New Dawn.
Spellbreak Class Rework
The available amount of Classes have been cut in half! In release .30 players will now have a choice of six classes to pick from which are:
- Conduit, Frostborn, Pyromancer, Stoneshaper, Tempest, Toxicologist
All other classes have been removed though more classes are teased for the future. With a more refined selection of available classes, Proletariat can now focus on shaping each class to perform specific roles. Each class will start each game with one preselected skill and on entering a new circle you’ll gain another, again pre-determined. There are no longer multiple levels to each skill, and every class now has four skills total.
Potential Energy (level 1 starting skill)
- Lightning Bolts: Hold to continue casting
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz5IRQvwfW0
Overload (level 2)
- On Cast Lightning Strike: +1 Rune charge. Max 1.
- Note: this does not store charges beyond 1.
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5HJ5elKFJ0
Power Surge (level 3)
- On Cast Lightning Strike: -100% Spell Mana Cost (4s)
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAsI411pagM
Secondary Strikes (level 4)
- Lightning Strike: +3 Strikes
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLnbQgDVAC4
Frozen Alacrity (Level 1 starting skill)
- Ice Lance: Leaves Ice Trails
- Increased size of ice puddles created by Frozen Alacrity
- Fixed Frozen Alacrity issues that would cause gaps between ice trails or the ice trail to end earlier than it should.
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZt7SZiiDc
Icicle (Level 2)
- Ice Lance: Hover in mid-air while aiming
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9z1pD0_2sI
Tundra (level 3)
- Flash Freeze Duration: +100%
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIi0NbN35I
Ice Prism (level 4)
- Ice Lance: Overcharge for 1s for +35% damage
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWQH0fxoKw
Combust (level 1 starting skill)
- Fireball Explosion Radius: +200%
- See Combust in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWhCDk1Hzo
Firefly (level 2)
- Immune: Your team’s Flamewalls
- On Entering Flamewall: Fly (1.5s)
- See Born of Fire in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBneqPR-xfY
Pyrolysis (level 3)
- Flamewall Damage: +100% (2s)
- Feel the burn here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mgczbvUmI
Conflagration (level 4)
- On Fireball Hit: Spawn 4 smaller Fireballs
- See the explosions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kocQWONtRUc
Stoneskin (level 1 starting skill)
- On Cast Shockwave: +5 Armor
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzBkjn3tHgI
- On Cast Shockwave: Crash to the ground
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw4ZdMSVXZo
Avalanche (level 3)
- Max Boulderfall Charges: +1
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbzv21wCeo
Accretion (level 4)
- Boulderfall Size: Grows as it flies
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNu7Rs8YNDM Note the reduced damage that appears when its farther away isn’t a nerf, it’s just me doing splash damage instead of a direct hit.
Wind Surge (Level 1 starting skill)
- On Wind Shear Ground Hit: Wind Jump
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKQnVS44QxU
Updraft (Level 2)
- Immune: Your team’s Tornadoes Pull
- On Entering Your Team’s Tornadoes: Launch into the air
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWmvwKwwkdA
Squall (level 3)
- In Air (1s): Spell Damage: +5%
- In Air (2s): Spell Damage: +15%
- In Air (3s): Spell Damage: +25%
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So9VaOhYXEg
Sudden Gust (level 4)
- In Air (1s): Sorcery Cooldown Speed: +100%
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqR0c9QbiPw
Viscosity (Level 1 starting skill)
- Toxic Spray: Leaves Sticky Puddles
- Toxic Puddles now last for 15s (prev 5s)
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONzCB5UTiFM
Vanishing Mists (Level 2)
- Immune: Your Team’s Toxic Clouds
- On Entering Your Team’s Toxic Clouds: Dash and become Invisible for 3s
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVf-rl3Hgpg
Outbreak (level 3)
- While Invisible: Toxic Spray Damage: +100%
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEzJ-09cpkk
Spreading Sickness (level 4)
- Toxic Cloud: +2 Clouds
- See it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAbum1Fk0zU
Player movement speed, in general, has been increased and is far smoother. Backpedaling and strafing, however, have seen slight speed reductions in speed but now scales properly with equipped boots and buffs.
Here are the new movement changes in action:
In addition to the movement changes, Spellbreak release .30 introduces a new character ability Levitation. This ability is available to every player at match start and can be activated by jumping and holding down the jump button. Levitation will consume mana per second which can be reduced by 25% when using the Legendary Boots of the Slayer. As you can probably tell, this does mean the removal of the double jump!
Blink has been removed from the game and vaulted. All the above movement changes have brought about this decision to test out a “blinkless” game. We may see the Blink Rune re-enter the game at a later stage of Alpha development.
Rune cooldowns are now frozen while hovering to prevent crazy scenarios in which players were able to stay in the air for long periods of time. We also see the Chronomaster rune cooldown reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.
- All storm circles are now 30% bigger.
- This should help the end of match end in a wider variety of locations without having to hoof it across a tremendous distance.
- Mana Vaults no longer drop skill points.
- Mana Vaults are the only place to get Legendary items.
- We’re testing this in release 30. As further changes are made to the class system, this may change again as well! Until then, get those spicy drops!
- Invisibility no longer prevents footsteps from being heard.
- With the various buffs to invisibility and how it interacts with other things, we wanted to make it slightly less sneaky.
- Hot-swapping commands are now ignored while aiming (sorceries, teleport, ice lance).
QUALITY OF LIFE
- Item pickup UIs are now hidden while aiming
- If all worn slots and all hotbar slots are full, you will see a “Inventory Full” message when attempting to pick up a Rune/Belt/Amulet/Boots, instead of auto-swapping the currently worn item.
- You can still hold F and press LMB in order to swap out the item.
- This avoids scenarios where the player accidentally swaps out something without realizing it.
- Players now view the class and inventory screen at the same time when pressing TAB.
- Practice and tutorial modes are now selectable in match settings.
- At match end you now see your teammates’ Player Card with all associated elements.
- During Spectate, you now see the spectated player’s Player Card.
- Keybindings on the HUD are now icon-based and update when remapped to support future control options.
- Improved display of Overamor. Text now reads “Armor/MaxArmor +Overarmor” in armor bar.
- Added 5 new skins. These are not player accessible and will be used for… things.
- Triumphs are a new cosmetic option. There’s just one right now to test the system, but more will be coming soon!
- When you exile someone, they’ll see your character, player card, and your selected triumph animation so they can … pay their respects.
- Set your Triumph in the main menu inventory screen.
- Optimized rendering of chests, and they now appear from further away when dropping from portals.
- Various shadow rendering optimizations
- Various VFX optimizations
- New region Verdon Estate featuring a stone maze
- Updated Witgrave region
- New conifer trees
- Polished Lowland Outpost
- Polished fracture areas
- New thatch roofed buildings in Fort Halcyon village
- Updated map and mini-map
- New cliff textures
- Updated map with POI names
- Fixed bug where parts of intentionally inaccessible parts of Edgewall Gate were accessible
- Fixed many instances of large gaps in the walls of many castle prefabs
- In Duos, both party members must select Ready to start the match.
- Kill feed correctly notes when a player is exiled by the circle.
- Kill feed correctly notes when a player is exiled by falling off the map.
- Dragonfire is consistent regardless of whether it was created by adding fire to poison, or poison to fire.
- Players who use Shadowstep without moving no longer appear to be running in place.
- Players can no longer damage teammates with wind shears from a distance.
- When spectating a player who uses the Chronomaster rune, you no longer see that player appear to be under the map during rune activation.
- Fixed Chronomaster rune not taking you fully back to your start position.
- Fixed a bug that made “Hold for Inventory” message appear in the UI when opening Mana Vaults and reviving or exiling players.
- An icon (and timer) now appears while you have freeze immunity.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Teleport rune targeting when a player had their back on the playable area boundary.
- Names of players using Streamer Mode are no longer revealed during spectator mode.
- Fixed a bug that caused teammate name tags to sometimes disappear when viewed at long distances.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused your character to be outlined in blue in Solo lobbies.
- Fixed a bug that caused the game window to warp to unwanted sizes after changing resolution settings.
- Fixed an issue where a castle wall piece got shifted, resulting in multiple exploitable gaps in many castle prefabs.
- Fix Springstep displaying “Skill not ready” whenever it was used.
- Fixed cases where you’d get ticked twice quickly by DoTs if you were moving.
- Fixed bug where toxic tornado would sometimes not stop applying damage after you’d left its radius.
- Fix long-outstanding bug where you would sometimes drop gauntlets while hot-swapping during combat
- Fixed a bug where you would run at less than max speed if your camera was facing mostly downward or mostly upward.
- Adjusted bounds of toxic tornado to better match visuals. The toxic damage is only taken along the ground and within the funnel of the tornado now.
You can check out Every Class Reworked – Spellbreak .30 The New Dawn official patch notes here