You May Also Like…
- Path of Exile 2 – New Skills, Bosses and Acts
- Path of Exile Blight League Encounters Guide (PoE Blight 3.8)
- Path of Exile Blight Challenges and Rewards
- Best Path of Exile Blight Starter Builds
Path of Exile 3.9 Conquerors of the Atlas expansion is due to be released on December 14th.
Grinding Gear Games announced big changes to the popular ARPG, Including Path of Exile 2, an experimental mobile variant, Metamorph challenge league and the 3.9 expansion Conquerors of the Atlas. For the first time ever, GGG unveiled the game’s impressive new features at the ExileCon event.
In POE 3.9 a large focus has been placed on new endgame content, stunning new visuals, and many Atlas changes. Naturally, each new expansion fans have traditionally come to expect specific changes to core mechanics, whether it’s to Melee, spellcasting or as we’ve seen in the current Blight league, Summoners. This time around bows and Ranged Attack Totems will be receiving a comprehensive overhaul.
Let’s go over everything that Grinding Gear Games revealed at ExileCon for the upcoming POE 3.9 Conqueror of the Atlas expansion.
Path of Exile 3.9 Prologue
The War for the Atlas between the Shaper and the Elder has ended after an elite group of exiles defeated the Elder. These prominent exiles grew powerful and kept returning to the Atlas over and over, grinding more maps. As their power grew so did their ambition. Driven insane by the constant exposure to the Void the Conquerors of the Atlas didn’t notice as they were altering the reality of the Atlas around them.
Zana sore what was occurring and trapped the five exiles in the Atlas by destroying the map device. Regrettably, they would soon find a way out. The Conquerors of the Atlas are five compelling ultimate bosses for Path of Exile 3.9 end game.
Like the Atlas of Worlds and War of the Atlas expansion, the Path fo Exile 3.9 expansion will carefully introduce new endgame mechanics that control how the Atlas works. Players will directly start from the center of the Atlas and work their way out to the corners. By default there are 90 maps visible, the rest must be unlocked by leveling up regions of the Atlas itself. You accomplish this by finding and defeating Conquerors to justly earn Watchstones that can be socketed into a region of the Atlas. The regions are accurately marked with yellow borders.
Watchstones level up the tier of the maps and also reveals new maps for you to explore. After socketing a total of four of these Watchstones into a region, maps in the area will be raised to tier 14 – 16. By selecting how many Watchstones you socket and where, you can completely customize your Atlas strategy.
Path of Exile 3.9 New Skills
Path of Exile 3.9 core skill improvements will be rooted around Bows and Ranged Attack Totems. In 3.6 we experienced changes to spellcasting, 3.7 was the melee patch and the current expansion Blight sore the intense necromancer and mine rework.
Attack totems have been renamed to Ballista and now have stunning 3d art. In 3.9 players are able to strategically place down three Ballista at once and are faster to place than ever before. Additionally, creative passive skills have been included in the game specifically for Ballista improvements including the ability to have more out at once. The general Ballista support gem still fully works with wands.
- Artillery Ballista: Fire a series of fiery arrows up into the air and rains down on enemies in a line.
- Shrapnel Ballista: Fire multiple limited ranged physical projectiles at nearby enemies. This ability has a shotgun effect meaning projectiles can strike the same enemy multiple times.
three bows themed gems will also be included alongside the Ballista Gems which are:
- Ensnaring Arrow: Fire an arrow that remains in the ground behind its final target, tethering that enemy to it. Ensnared enemies always count as moving and have less movement speed while trying to break the snare. The snare will break if they leave the area of effect.
- Barrage Support Gem: Every supported bow skill fires projectiles in a sequence. Modifiers to projectiles cause them to fire in a direct line as opposed to a cone. Wand skills also fully work with this support gem.
- Arrow Nova Support: Fire an arrow into the air that lands at a remote location and splits into a Nova of arrows that fires in all directions.
Bow attacks that utilize elements like burning arrow and explosive arrow have been reworked. Burning Arrow now exerts a stacking effect alongside its ignite. The Explosive Arrow can have many more arrows on the target, however, repeat shot doesn’t refresh the skill’s duration.
Underused bow skills have been improved, for example, shrapnel shot projectiles can now all hit a single target, Blast Rain now experiences extra explosion per additional projectile and so on. Additionally, all bow skills have been rebalancing making the majority of skills stronger. Tornado Shot has not received the same love in 3.9 and will see a nerf to its overall effectiveness.
Less popular bow base type has also been improved for POE 3.9 including general bow damage scaling as players level.
Support Plus Gems
These new support gems can drop from Conquerors and are very high-level super-powerful versions of existing support gems. There’s around 35 new support plus gems added to POE Conqueror of the Atlas.
Fork Plus Support
- Projectiles from supported skills Fork
- Projectiles from supported skills Fork and additional time.
Ancestral Call Plus Support
- Supported Strike Skills target 3 additional nearby enemies
- Supported Skills deal 8% less damage
Added Cold Damage Plus Support
- +1 to supported Cold Gems
- Supported skills have 227 to 341 added Cold Damage
Blasphemy Plus Support
- Supported Curses are Cast as Auras
- Using supported skills is Instant
- 82% increased area of effect of supported curses.
3.9 New influenced Items
Four new influenced types appropriately named after four of the five conquerors. Dipping into mod pools from existing Shaper and Elder mods, as well as a variety of new ones. To influence your items in 3.9, players will have to defeat Conquerors for a possible chance to receive that given Conquerors Exalted Orb.
The four Exalted Orbs and their influence are as followed:
- Warlord’s Exalted Orb – Enchants a rare item with new Warlord’s Modifier.
- Crusader’s Exalted Orb – Enchants a rare item with new Crusader’s Modifier
- Hunter’s Exalted Orb – Enchants a rare item with new Hunter’s Modifier
- Adjudicator’s Exalted Orb – Enchants a rare item with a new Adjudicator Modifier
Players can still access Shaper and Elder content, Zana missions can give shaper guardians maps, eventually, you can collect fragments to challenge the Shaper by doing these maps. She can equally provide you maps containing Elder guardians with a possible fragment system for accessing Uber Elder as well.
Metamorph challenge league
In the Metamorph league, you’ll meet a new NPC, Tane Octavius, a master alchemist who studied in Oriath. Exiled to Wraeclast for killing his teacher, Tane searches for what makes the “self”, by using his learned alchemical knowledge to assemble monster essences. He hopes to find a cure, or perhaps just the source, for what he calls “the intrinsic darkness” that led to his unforgivable violence.
Players will have the opportunity to create and defeat a metamorph in each area you play in. By killing monsters in any given area, you’ll be able to collect samples from some of their corpses. These samples each represent the embodiment of one of the monster’s skills which can be combined together to create a metamorph with all those abilities.
This article will be updated if and when more information on Path of Exile 3.9 is released